/Ai-/Ais Hot Springs Spa
Location: /Ai-/Ais Richtersveldt Transfrontier Park
/Ai-/Ais, means ‘burning water’ in the local Nama dialect. /Ai-/Ais is in reference to the natural thermal springs found at the base of the mountain peaks at the southern end of the Fish River Canyon. It is popular with tourists, who come for both the hot springs, and the challenging 85 km Fish River Canyon Hike. The area has rugged and beautiful scenery and diverse flora, containing elements of both the Succulent karoo (winter rainfall) and Nama karoo (summer rainfall) biomes.
Namibia Wildlife Resorts is exclusively located within the /Ai-/Ais Hot Springs Park, offering accommodation at the /Ai-/Ais Hot Springs Spa and Hobas campsite.
/Ai-/Ais lies at the southern end of the Fish River conservation area. From the main B1 route turn west on the C10 just south of Grünau. Ai-Ais lies 73km along this road. A landing strip is available for fly-in guests 11km from the resort, but landing and transport arrangements have to be made in advance.
NOT LICENSED: GPS coordinates: 27°55'15.13"S 17°29'20.40"E
Elevation: 2000; Runway: 01 /1 9, 1 050 m, Gravel
Runway: 07/25, 1 050, Gravel
Type: Eco- Lodge
Accommodation is in 36 double rooms and 7 premier chalets. 12 of the rooms have river views and the remaining 24 have mountain views. All of these rooms have been fitted in the new Spa complex and sit over the indoor thermal pool. So there is no excuse for not popping downstairs for a relaxing session in the pool, or to visit one of the treatment rooms for a body or head massage, to get rid of those unwanted aches and pains.
• The 16 river view rooms are equipped with an en-suite bathroom and bath, air-conditioning and a tea/coffee station. They also have the added facility of an outside shower!
• The 20 mountain view rooms have an en-suite bathroom with a shower, air-conditioning and a tea/coffee station.
• The 7 premier chalets are for families/groups and are equipped with an en-suite bathroom and air-conditioning. The 3 bedrooms, have either a ¾ size, 2 x queen, or 1 x king-size bed in each room. The self-catering kitchen is equipped with a refrigerator, 2 plate stove, microwave oven, kettle, pots/pans and plates/cutlery. An added attraction of these brand new chalets, is that there are 2 verandahs, with both river and mountain views!
• Housekeeping attention with evening turndown service
• Preferred time of housekeeping service
• Laundry service upon request
• Free Parking
• Disabled access
THINGS TO DO
- Swimming: /Ai-/Ais has both an indoor thermal pool and a popular, but cooler outdoor pool. As the surrounding countryside is arid and rocky and in summertime temperatures soar, not only is a session in either pool beneficial to your health, it also helps you to keep cool.
- Walking and nature walks – try walking trails up the ravine!
- The Fish River Canyon Hiking Trail
- Guided scenic excursions within the park.
- Photography: The /Ai-/Ais area is a geologists' dream - with rock formations dating back to millions of years. Visitors of all ages can enjoy some soul-searching walks in the surrounding areas of the camp, and they can also easily drive to the main Fish River Canyon lookout point at Hobas for some fantastic views and photographic opportunities.
- Star gazing: An advantage when travelling in this part of the world is the clear and open southern sky. It is great for star gazing, and the minimal reflections at night make it an ideal stopover for keen astronomers and enthusiasts alike.